About Field Instruction
The field instructor plays a key support role in helping the intern develop standards-based practices in planning, teaching and assessment, and in becoming a fully participating member of the teaching profession. In addition, the field instructor supports the mentor teacher in problem solving and providing effective mentoring practices. The field instructor also works with the cluster leader, program coordinator and team leader to understand and communicate current program practices and policies, and is available to pass along information provided by course instructors about planning and other course requirements.
Meetings, Observation Visits, and Assessments
- Give copies of written assessments to interns and Mentor Teachers.
- Conduct five conferences with the intern and Mentor Teacher.
- Prepare participants for conferences by explaining what to bring and the topics to discuss.
- Make at least five observation visits during the fall semester.
- Make at least five observation visits during the spring semester.
- Provide written assessments of the intern's progress for the fall midterm, fall final, and spring midterm conferences.
- Prepare the Exit Performance Description for the final conference.
- Facilitate communication among interns, Mentor Teachers, course instructors, and others involved with the internship.
- Communicate regularly with each intern, at least every other week.
- Communicate regularly with each Mentor Teacher.
- Communicate regularly with field instructor coordinators and course instructors about interns' progress and problems.
- Meet regularly (sometimes in TE 802/4) with each intern.
- Look at each intern's focus class binder frequently to check intern planning and Mentor Teacher feedback.
- Plan ahead to schedule meetings and conferences in a timely fashion.
- Provide the intern and Mentor Teacher with feedback and detailed notes about observation visits.
- Make sure everyone clearly understands expectations and standards.
- Keep informed about program developments and pass this information on to interns and Mentor Teachers promptly.
- Know where to direct questions and relay answers as soon as possible.
Support of Intern Learning
- Observe the intern's teaching and confer about the planning and teaching of each observed lesson.
- Provide constructive written and oral feedback.
- Identify the intern's specific needs and work on them with the intern and Mentor Teacher.
- Inform field instructor coordinators or team leaders about problems promptly.
- Help interns to develop their portfolios by giving feedback on materials and assisting with videotaping, if needed.
- Keep notes of observation visits including date, progress observed, suggestions made, and actions taken.
- Keep notes of all communication with interns and Mentor Teachers.
- Keep examples of intern work indicative of progress or problems.
- Keep copies of all written assessments and professional development plans.
- MSU Mileage Reimbursement Rate (56 cents/per mile)