→ Prospective Students
WelcomeThe Secondary Teacher Preparation Program at Michigan State's College of Education provides teacher candidates with the critical knowledge and skills needed to teach all children. We are consistently ranked as a leading college in the nation for pursuing a career in secondary education. This ranking reflects, in part, the high esteem in which secondary school principals and staff hold our graduates. We invite you to engage in your professional education with us in the Secondary Education Teacher Preparation program at the College of Education at Michigan State University.
Our MissionThe teacher preparation program at Michigan State University prepares critically reflective and responsive teachers who continue to learn across their careers. These teachers are well prepared in their content areas and with the most recent research-based knowledge of instruction and curriculum. They work to improve schooling in a democratic society and build a more just, sustainable world. They strive to help all children and youth develop conceptual understandings and fluency in content, become active citizens, and make significant contributions to society. Our field-based program is designed to prepare well-started beginning teachers who develop:
- A strong foundation in the subject matter, and an understanding of how children and youth learn and engage with subject matter
- Equitable and inclusive teaching practices that are responsive to diverse learners, communities, and a global society
- The ability to work within and across a range of community and professional contexts
- Disposition and skills to critically reflect on and learn from their practice
- A strong sense of agency and the capacity to become leaders in their field
Our Mission in Action
Mission Presentation (PDF)Please see our Mission Statement Presentation to find out more about how the mission statement is enacted throughout the curriculum and course structure of the Secondary Teacher Preparation Program.
Key Elements to the Program
- Undergraduate field experiences that build connections between the theoretical principles of the craft of teaching and the practical situations that teachers face.
- Preparation for certification to teach in your majors and minors.
- Full-year internship with continued instruction and mentoring from MSU faculty.
- Instruction from nationally renowned faculty and classroom experiences with outstanding high school teachers.
- Concerns for diversity and equity woven throughout the required teacher education courses.
- Support for learning to use technology in teaching.
- Time spent working with special needs students in regular classrooms.
- Opportunity to intern throughout Michigan, in the Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Detroit metropolitan areas, as well as in the Chicago Public Schools.
- Graduate-level professional study during the internship with credits which may be applied to a master degree program.
- Preparation to fulfill the standards and related proficiencies for entry-level Michigan teachers as established by the Michigan Department of Education.
- See Title II Institutional Report
Caroline A. PawelskiAs a student in the Secondary Education Program, my career future has benefitted in incomparable ways. Thanks to the outstanding quality of the faculty and curriculum, I have been provided opportunities to change, grow, innovate, and improve as a future teacher in a most positive manner. I am forever grateful for the best practices they have taught me, which have enhanced my professional leadership abilities and developed my teaching skills in such areas as effective student learning and ... ... read more