Teacher Preparation Program MissionThe teacher preparation program at Michigan State University prepares critically reflective and responsive teachers who continue to learn across their careers. These teachers are well prepared in their content areas and with the most recent research-based knowledge of instruction and curriculum. They work to improve schooling in a democratic society and build a more just, sustainable world. They strive to help all children and youth develop conceptual understandings and fluency in content, become active citizens, and make significant contributions to society. Our field-based program is designed to prepare well-started beginning teachers who develop:
- A strong foundation in the subject matter, and an understanding of how children and youth learn and engage with subject matter
- Equitable and inclusive teaching practices that are responsive to diverse learners, communities, and a global society
- The ability to work within and across a range of community and professional contexts
- Disposition and skills to critically reflect on and learn from their practice
- A strong sense of agency and the capacity to become leaders in their field
Our Mission in Action
Mission Presentation (PDF)Please see our Mission Statement Presentation to find out more about how the mission statement is enacted throughout the curriculum and course structure of the Secondary Teacher Preparation Program.