The Department of Kinesiology hosts an annual visitation program for promising doctoral applicants. The event is traditionally held in mid-November and specific details are published in early September of each academic year.
Requirements for participating in the Doctoral Visitation Program
- Interest in pursuing doctoral study in the Department of Kinesiology at Michigan State University
- Competitive GPA, GRE scores, and research preparation
If so, you may be eligible for our Doctoral Visitation Program. We will be inviting selected prospective doctoral students on an expense-paid trip to visit the Department of Kinesiology at Michigan State University. During this visit prospective students will meet with faculty, learn more about the KIN doctoral program, and see the MSU community.
How to apply for the 2022 Doctoral Visitation Program
The Doctoral Visitation Program will be held this year on November 3-4, 2022. Applications for the Doctoral Visitation Program must be completed by October 7, 2022.
We strongly recommend that you contact your prospective faculty mentor within your intended concentration area prior to applying to the Doctoral Visitation Program. Please see the Kinesiology Faculty biography page for more information.
The Kinesiology PhD Concentration areas with respective faculty include:
- Athletic Injury and Rehabilitation – Dr. Tracey Covassin, Dr. Matthew Harkey
- Exercise Physiology – Dr. Katharine Currie, Dr. David Ferguson, Dr. Karin Pfeiffer
- Cognitive and Motor Neuroscience – Dr. Janet Hauck, Dr. Florian Kagerer, Dr. Mei-Hua Lee, Dr. Matthew Pontifex, Dr. Rajiv Ranganathan
- Psychosocial Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity – Dr. Panteleimon Ekkekakis, Dr. Jeemin Kim, Dr. Leapetswe Malete, Dr. Nicholas Myers, Dr. Spyridoula Vazou
To qualify for an invitation for this program, you must submit the following information:
- Official or student copies of transcripts from all degree programs (e.g., undergraduate, masters)
- Statement regarding your academic and career goals
- A current CV
- Official report of GRE Scores (if you have taken the GRE)
These materials should be uploaded as part of your application for the Doctoral Visitation Program. Materials can also be sent to Ms. Marlene Green, the Kinesiology Graduate Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Candidates will be notified about an invitation in mid-to-late October.
Applying to the Kinesiology Ph.D. program
In addition to completing the doctoral visitation program application, we strongly encourage you to submit an application to the Ph.D. program prior to November 15. A completed application allows consideration for major multi-year MSU fellowships and scholarships, which typically have application deadlines of December 1.
Visit the application webpage for more details on creating your application to the Ph.D. program.